Atlus U.S.A. have announced that they will be bringing Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final to the Americas! The game will be titled Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, and will be released for the Nintendo 3DS this summer for $49.99/CA$64.99. Both a physical and digital version of the game will be made available. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is the latest entry in the long-running Shin Megami Tensei RPG series from Atlus, and features a story that overlaps with that the original Shin Megami Tensei IV. Atlus U.S.A. has also released a blog post explaining why they changed the game’s title for the localized version. The official website for the game can be found here.
You can find the trailer (containing some graphic violence, so viewer discretion is advised), screenshots and the official press release from Atlus U.S.A. below! At the moment, there’s no word on a potential EU release.
IRVINE, Calif. – April 14, 2016 – No one doubts the sacrifices and heroics made by the Samurai of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado. But in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse (known as Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final in Japan), the focus is on the remaining humans in the ruins of Tokyo. The protagonist is a Hunter cadet who meets an untimely end at the very beginning of the game, but thanks to the machinations of the god Dagda, he returns to live under Dagda’s servitude. From there, the protagonist becomes the pawn in a much larger plot that skirts the boundaries of peace and anarchy. Exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is an immersive RPG experience where players will have to negotiate, recruit, and battle more than 450 demons in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo setting as the gods’ plots are revealed. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is still a standalone experience that players will be able to understand without prior knowledge of the original Shin Megami Tensei IV. The game will be available in summer 2016 for $49.99/CA$64.99.
The story of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is one of human pawns being shuffled across a chessboard by the higher deities. One lone Hunter, the game’s protagonist, meets an early demise and through a pact with a lesser god, is brought back to life in exchange for his pledge of servitude. From there, the protagonist allies with other Hunters in the ruins of post-apocalyptic Tokyo beginning a plot that crosses over with the events of the original Shin Megami Tensei IV.
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse features:
- The Eternal Struggle Between Gods- The Shin Megami Tensei series, known for exploring the tenuous symbiosis between man and deity, reaches deeper than ever in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, as the band of main characters must decide which side of peace or anarchy they are on.
- Partner Up for Success – A new twist on the SMTIV combat formula allows players to bring one of seven partners to battle (in addition to the standard three demons), each with their own unique skills and AI. Plus, partners will fill up a meter that will interrupt the enemy, do massive damage, and give players an extra turn. Given the excruciating difficulty of battles in Shin Megami Tensei, the partner system will allow for new player strategies.
- Demons Aplenty – Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse has a series record 450+ demons to fight, fuse, or recruit to player parties. With demons from a wide selection of cultures and religions to choose from, players will be able to customize their party to their liking.
- Fuse For Affinities – Demon fusion, combining two or more demons to form a more powerful one, is one of the cornerstones of Shin Megami Tensei games, and now demons will have affinities for certain skills, giving players more decisions to make about which skills fusions will inherit.
- Press Turns and Smirking – The Press Turn system returns, which gives players (or enemies!) extra turns for exploiting weaknesses. The Smirk system returns as well, which gives huge offensive and defensive boosts to party members (or enemies) and now unlocks bonuses for certain skills, such as insta-kill attacks.
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is an engrossing, 60-plus hour RPG experience that pits players against the very creators of the human identity in a battle for the remnants of the human race. Demons, gods, magic and guns are the tools of destruction players will wield in the name of servitude to a scheming deity. With its renowned combat mechanics improved to the most diverse state yet, and its legendary difficulty, Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse is a must-have addition to the Nintendo 3DS system’s impressive RPG library. The game is not yet rated by the ESRB. It will be available this summer for $49.99/CA$64.99, and more information will be available at http://www.atlus.com/smt4a.