UPDATE: SEGA has now announced a PS4 release as well, and an official launch trailer and press release, which have been added to the article below. The game will be releasing as a physical version only on PS4 for $29.99, while the Nintendo Switch version will be available digitally for $29.99 and physically for $39.99, with a special launch edition that includes two Puyo Puyo- and Tetris-themed keychains (while supplies last).
During the recent Nintendo Switch event, Puyo Puyo Tetris was briefly shown being played on the Nintendo Switch. With the event over, the official website of Puyo Puyo Tetris has been updated with more information on this new version of the game for Nintendo Switch, titled Puyo Puyo Tetris S in Japan. The game will be released in Japan on March 3, 2017 as a launch game for the Nintendo Switch. The official website also reveals that the game will get a release in the United States, Europe and other countries, where it will simply be called Puyo Puyo Tetris, although the release date for that version is unknown at the moment. Interestingly, a “Worldwide Puzzle League” mode will allow for worldwide multi-player (albeit without cross-platform support).
At the moment it’s not clear if the localized version of the game will be released on other platforms, although previously a PS4 trophy list for the game was found. But regardless, this is really good news for the Puyo Puyo fans who have long been waiting for a new localized Puyo Puyo game to arrive on console!
Puyo Puyo Tetris – The Frantic Four-Player Puzzle Mashup – Comes to the West
Puyos and Tetriminos Collide in the Multiplayer Puzzle/Party Game Coming Soon to PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch!
IRVINE, Calif. – Jan. 13, 2017 – Two puzzle game juggernauts collide as Tetris®, one of the largest-selling and recognized brands in gaming history, and Puyo Puyo™ from SEGA have combined to create a fun-to-play, fast-paced, competitive party game like no other! Coming to retailers in the Americas and Europe on PlayStation®4 and Nintendo Switch™ in spring 2017, the game offers tons of gameplay styles – from single-player Adventure and Challenge modes to ferocious competition with up-to-four player Arcade modes, for tons of Tetris/Puyo variety. Plus, an in-game Shop enables players to unlock new characters and skins for Puyos and Tetriminos.
Puyo Puyo Tetris will be releasing only in physical format on the PlayStation 4, and will cost $29.99 at retail. The Nintendo Switch version of
Puyo Puyo Tetris will have a digital version for $29.99 and a special retail edition for $39.99. The Nintendo Switch retail edition will include two keychains players can use to show off their Puyo Puyo or Tetris allegiance – one keychain features a green Puyo, and the other features a purple T Tetrimino. The special launch edition of Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Nintendo Switch will only be available in quantities limited to pre-orders and first-run printings of the game in the Americas. Puyo Puyo Tetris is now available to pre-order at most major game retailers.
Here’s a quick rundown of all the different ways to play:
Adventure – Single-player mode offers ten unique acts, each with ten stages featuring different characters from the Puyo Puyo and Tetris universes. Each stage contains unique challenges players will need to overcome in order to win and move on!
Multiplayer Arcade – For up to four local players, Multiplayer Arcade offers a wealth of game variants that will bring out players’ competitive nature!
- Versus – Players compete head-to-head in either Puyo Puyo or Tetris to fight in the puzzle fight of their life.
- Swap – Players’ abilities are put to the ultimate test when they compete on both Puyo Puyo and Tetris boards, which switch back and forth at set intervals.
- Fusion – A true hybrid game where players compete with Puyos and Tetriminos together on the same board, requiring deft, on-the-fly thinking to become victorious.
- Big Bang – It’s a race to the finish as players compete against each other to clear unique challenge boards as quickly as possible to win.
- Party – Players compete on Puyo or Tetris boards, but the puzzles feature special items that when activated either help players or harm their opponents.
Online – Players can try their puzzle skills on a global scale by playing any of the multiplayer modes with up to four players online in Puzzle League or Free Play modes
- Puzzle League – Increase player rating, earn ranks and aspire to new leagues in this mode for competitive enthusiasts.
- Free Play – A more casual experience where records aren’t kept and players can customize matches with unique settings, and invite their friends to play.
- Replays – Players can save and upload any online matches to show off to their friends, or search other players’ replays using the tag and filtering system to see how they tackle matches.
Solo Arcade – Play any of the Multiplayer Arcade modes against the CPU in Battle or Endurance matches, or try single-player challenges:
- Battle – Substitute human players with 1-3 CPU opponents to fight against simultaneously.
Endurance – Go the distance in a one-on-one gauntlet of never-ending CPU opponents, racking up as many wins as possible.
- Challenge – Forget about the opponents and put skills to the test with Sprint, Marathon and more, like the quirky Tiny Puyo, which shrinks down Puyos to fit even more on the board.
Puyo Puyo Tetris will be the site of many contentious local- and online-multiplayer fights for puzzle superiority when the two games collide in spring of this year. The PlayStation 4 version will be available only in a physical format for $29.99, but the Nintendo Switch version will be available digitally for $29.99 and physically for $39.99, with a special launch edition that includes two Puyo Puyo- and Tetris-themed keychains while supplies last. The PS4 version of the game is rated E10+ by the ESRB. The Nintendo Switch version is not currently rated by the ESRB, but E10+ is expected. There will be more information about the puzzle fighter coming soon. Future updates for Puyo Puyo Tetris will be on the game’s official page: puyo.sega.com/tetris!